JoggleBug

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Politics

Dear Friends,

When I was approached about running for the State Senate seat, the first and seems only thing everyone spoke to me about was the amount of money I would have to raise. I knew it would be a cost; I have after all run two (2) campaigns before, but I had always used primarily my own money.

They came to me with the stats showing what had been spent in the last election for this seat, and I was shocked. My competitor, the incumbent Mr. Ketron, spent $500,000 last time for a State Senate seat that pays a little less than $20,000 a year.

That fact alone gives me great pause in the process of where we are politically. Over $150,000 of that money came from insurance alone. THAT sure doesn’t make me feel as if I’m at the top of the list when anything is being considered . . . does it you?

Are we unable to elect someone for their ideas and ability to work or does it all come down to the dollar? Money in politics makes politicians politicians . . . and instead of interested in the people’s business, they are controlled and compromised by their financial backers.

I might fail miserably, but I want to run this campaign different. Although I need financial support for mail outs and advertising, I want it to be from us . . . regular people who believe in something and someone.
 
So I am asking Y-O-U . . .
will you invest in me and my campaign to make the community and state we love better? 

All amounts are appreciated; just think your hard-earned $10 can help us regain the senate seat! You can donate here online . . . or you can mail a check payable to the “Committee to Elect Debbie Matthews, State Senate” to 104 West 6th Street Columbia, TN 38401. Please remember if you mail a check to put your occupation, employer and contact number in the memo field.
 
We are making a huge campaign push to raise $40,000+ before June 30 and we need your help to get there.

Please join our cause to take our elected seats back from special interests and big money. We are the government. It only works if WE work it!

Best,

Debbie Matthews
Candidate for State Senate District 13

Visit www.DebbieMatthewsforSenate.com to donate!

ActBlue direct link if icon does not appear:  ActBlue

My contribution: $